Ida B. Wells Homes, 1941

Title

Ida B. Wells Homes, 1941

Description

Photography by Annie Stubenfield showing the Ida B. Wells Homes, opened in 1941. Three New Deal era public housing developments opened in Chicago in 1938 to address slum conditions and the “failure” of the private housing market during the Depression. Trumbull Park on the South Side and Lathrop Homes on the North Side were exclusively reserved for white residents. On the Near West Side, the Jane Addams Homes was open only to a small number of African-American families. Though segregated, the Ida B. Wells row houses were welcomed by Black advocates seeking to address dismal housing conditions in Bronzeville.

Creator

Photography by Annie Stubenfield

Publisher

National Public Housing Museum

Date

1941-2000

Rights

From the National Public Housing Museum

Format

Jpeg

Identifier

NPHM wells2

Original Format

Color Photograph

Files

NPHM wells2.jpg

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Geolocation

Date Added
October 26, 2015
Collection
Chicago's Families
Item Type
Still Image
Tags
, ,
Citation
Photography by Annie Stubenfield, “Ida B. Wells Homes, 1941,” Alliance Community Collections, accessed November 19, 2017, http://ccacommunitycollections.omeka.net/items/show/413.